privacy . . . hmmmm . . .

I know I put a lot of information out there in the online world, and here lately, I have considered getting out all together---making my blog private & getting off facebook. I just really have too many 'friends' with some of those being more acquaintances, and I just don't want them to know all about me---when Josh is gone, what my kids are doing, where I will be, what I'll be doing . . . & then there is the problem of knowing what THEY are doing . . . why didn't they invite me? wait, did I really need to know that?! too much info.! etc. I don't know?!!! How do ya'll feel on this subject? What would you recommend? Should I go private?

Comments

hoLLy said…
this is what i did-changed my blog completely(about 2 years ago), removing our last name and our city. i searched through my posts and changed about a million of them:) i never currently reference those and when someone comments using our last name or city i delete the comment and repost it without that information and use their name. with facebook, i went through and deleted about 100 friends, only keeping people i actually know and trust. i also never put when we are going out of town or when joey is out of town ever on fb. i've heard of people getting robbed! i just don't think its safe to put that info on the web period. so i think there are ways of doing things a little safer without throwing facebook out the window and going totally private. but thats me!
You all have got me scared. It's kind of sad we live in the kind of world where we have to be so cautious. I like the above comments and her suggestions. Have you had some bad experiences that have scared you Amber Do?
Emma said…
I do something similar to what Holly said. I don't use our last name on my blog, or city names. I've stopped mentioning when we go out of town, only recap when we get back. I've thought about deleting friends on facebook, but haven't gotten around to it.

Good luck with your decision. If you go private please invite me. Just know I'll probably only get around to reading your blog once or twice a month.
Josh said…
I agree with the above posted - just be careful what you release. Don't be so open about your life - we don't need to know how many times you went the bathroom today. Don't add friends you don't know who they are. I have to monitor all my comments on my blog now because I started getting strange ones. Life is too short to be private 24/7.
SWS said…
First I have to say that your openness was one my inspirations to start blogging.

That said, I do agree with what the others have said. And several other personal blogs I read have expressed the same concern lately.

It's pretty easy to share your life and your family with us without revealing too much. A rule of thumb that I learned a long time ago is don't put anything in an email that you wouldn't want to see on the front page of the newspaper. I think that applies to FB and blogs as well.

For me, FB is a way of keeping up with real friends, so I've always accepted (and sent) friend requests thoughtfully. I don't have a lot of FB friends as a result but that also means that it doesn't take ages to slog through their statuses. FB has allowed me to keep up or catch up with a lot of people I would have otherwise lost contact with.

I'm all for protecting your family but not at the expense of loosing contact with people you care about and who care about you.

--Sarah
Ally said…
I've felt the same way lately..I've been deleting "friends" on facebook and I am thinking of going private too..that way I can write what I want and not worry about what others will think..let me know what you do! love you!
I've done about the same thing, too. Deleted "friends" on FB...even if they are family...some info I just don't want to know about. On our blog I don't put were we live. I do use our first and last names though...but I figure people can find your name in the phonebook, etc... so you can't guard everything 24/7. Have you ever thought about the fact the the A/B honor roll is in the newspaper with their school and homeroom teacher? That kind of freaks me out. Not sure what to do about that one. Crazy world we live in!
Josh said…
Ginger - did you delete me as your friend on FB - what families members have you excluded?
Well, Josh I thought about deleting you...but I decided to keep you around. haha!!!! :)

I couldn't delete my only bro!

Popular Posts