Beach to Bay

Josh & I were grateful that only three people got injured during the beach-to-bay relay, but we did have to laugh a little when we learned one of those people got injured by running into a utility pole. :) BUT . . . we definitely know how that could have happened . . . We got to our starting point around 6:40 AM to begin our wait for our team members. Josh ran leg 3 (the bridge) and I ran leg 4 (the longest, and through the military base). The weather was overcast, humid, and hot. Then, around 6:50 AM dark clouds formed over head, the winds picked up, it got really, really cold, and it began to rain with lightning. :( I froze in the rain for the next hour, I even considered going into a port-a-potty, just to get out of the rain & wind, but finally our team number was read 3-1-8 and I knew Josh was at my leg. He had his own kind of fun--running through a hard downpour & wind (clocked at gust as high as 50 mph). He said his right nostril was blown shut---is that possible?! I guess so. I began my journey through the rain & wind & lightning show with one eye shut. I couldn't breath in my nose without the feeling I just took a breath underwater. By the last mile, the rain had decreased to a light down pour. :) After I handed off, I then walked to the college where we had my bike (dropped it off the night before) locked up. I met up with Josh in the car, and then headed to Cole Park to cheer in the last runner of our team!!! We timed 4 hours 14 minutes---26.2 miles!! Go us! (l to r, Josh, Kris O'Brien, Chris Payne, me, Ericka Osborne---not pictured our fifth leg runner Chris Webb) :)

Just to give you some race facts---there were 2,356 teams--we came in 127th in our division. There were 14, 136 runners. :) & a BIG CONGRATS to Maria Payne!! Her team came in 9th in their division!! :)

Comments

brandi said…
That is amazing! Ok, so I'm in for training to run with you! I've never run in my life!
Congrats!!! Zach and I are running a 5K on June 26th! :)

ps. Josh, my nostril does that all the time...I totally believe you! hehehehheee :)
The rain and lightening would have scared me to death! Gald you all were safe. Your writing is hard to read.

Popular Posts