A Couple of Trips to Nac.
My Papa McKneely, my Mom’s father, was 88 years old when he died—so I can’t really say this was sudden or he went down hill fast, he lived a long life, and for the most part he was healthy and alert. My Grandpa lived a house away from my Mom and Dad, so anytime we visited with my Mom—we always made a trip to see my Grandpa as well. He was definitely a fixture in my childhood and adulthood—and he was my last living grandparent which made it more difficult. It truly seems a page closed in my life when he passed away just a few weeks ago. Cami and I made a trip to see him at the hospital during the Easter weekend. It was good to be able to be with my Mom who had been my Grandpa’s caregiver (in every since of the word) for a few years now. And, it was good to be able to say good by to my Papa as well. He mostly slept when we were there, but I know he recognized my voice and who I was—which meant a lot to me.
My family was able to attend Grandpa’s funeral that next week in Nacogdoches. All of my five sisters and brother were able to be together, enjoy each other’s company, and have fun despite the circumstances that brought us together.
We also got to visit with all our McKneely cousins—it was so good to see them and reminisce about our childhood memories. I wish somehow we could all get together more often . . . but it is kind of hard when there are 7 of us and five of them—all with our families—we kind of multiplied and can be found all around the United States at this point—from TX, to NC, to AR, to Boston!! :)
(above) my sister Abby and I (below) Cami and Cailey
My cousin Steven McKneely & I—we are the same age, and got to spend a lot of summers together at our Grandmother’s home . . . fun times. :) (below) All of the Ault & McKneely cousins
(left to right) Ally, Abby, Josh, Steven, Andy, Leigh, Ginger, Sarah, Joey, me, and Megan (only one missing—Rachel McKneely!!)

Comments