Just call me Mattie!
Each year we have the BIG Lindsey Reunion in Kelsey, Texas. This year they asked if I could dress up like my Great-Great-Grandmother Lindsey, and tell a few things about her life. I never met her, but I have heard many stories from my own Grandmother, so I was quick to say, yes! And then, I realized how far away Kelsey is from Corpus Christi, and realized I wouldn't be able to make it there, so I got with my sister, Megan, and she agreed to do it IF I wrote out what she had to say. So, this morning I got out the family history books and learned and remembered what a special lady my Grandmother is and was. The following is what I would have said (and what Megs will be saying) at the Lindsey Reunion this Saturday. How lucky we are (her descendants) to have her as OUR Grandmother!! :) I wonder if she ever thought she would be on a blog one day! he-he
My full name is Martha Emma Christina Lucinda Mull Lindsey, but please don‘t call me that, Mattie will be fine. I was born on August 26, 1867 in Alabama. My childhood was different than most. My father deserted our family shortly before I was born, leaving my Mother to raise my three brothers and I by herself. My mom tried her best to take care of us, but she fell ill and was unable to do so. My oldest brother, Ambrose, soon married. Ambrose was blond and looked like father. I would often go to his house to play with his children. “They did wash down beside a spring and we liked to play down there while they washed.” Dick, my other brother, was dark and handsome. He looked like my mother. Dick worked for Grandma Mull and he could not come home often. “I was five or six years old when he came home one day. . . We ran down the road to meet him and he lifted me up in his arms and hugged and kissed me. That is the only time I ever remember seeing him.” My youngest brother, Moses, was my only brother I got to spend any length of time with, but with my Mother’s illness and her inability to care for us, I was soon separated from Moses as well.
I lived with several families. Usually these families needed some kind of help. They would take me in, and in return I would do work for them. I was treated poorly often by these families, but along the way people were willing to help me. Once, I was working with a family that treated me as a slave. They lived by a railroad track, so the crew of the train saw what was happening and the first chance they got, they spoke with me and planned a way for me to escape on the train. I got some clothes and a few supplies, and hid them beside the track. The crew explained when I needed to be ready, and they would help me get away. It was night when they came, and I waited in the darkness. The train arrived, and I was able to escape several miles away to some friends. Another family treated me similar, so one night I threw the few clothes I had in a rag, waited for everyone to sleep, and then I ran. I didn’t know where I was going, but I knew I couldn’t stay there any longer. The Gisler family was different than most families. They treated me with kindness. And staying with them will always be a treasured memory, but I knew it wouldn’t last. I would often have dreams of Mrs. Gisler dying and a feeling of unbearable depression would come over me. My dream was realized when Mrs. Gisler died in child birth. Mr. Gisler soon left Alabama, so again I had no home.
I was fifteen years old when I received the message that my mother was dying. I rushed to my mother’s side, but she didn’t recognize me. Several times before she took her last breath, my mother said, “Oh! Glorious heaven!” I know by her manner of speaking and tone of voice that she had seen some heavenly scene. About three years later, I got word from my friend, Cordelia Little, stating that my father had died. She, also, wanted me to come visit them, so I went there. I met Cordelia’s cousin, Billie Lindsey. He would soon be my husband, but before we married I wanted to work for a time and buy more clothes before the wedding. And Billie also needed to earn some money before taking a wife. I worked for one of Billie’s neighbors, and she promised for a certain amount of work she would buy me a lovely piece of calico. I sure wanted that fabric to make a dress. I worked hard in happy anticipation of the beautiful dress that would soon be mine, but when finally I received the piece of material, it was much less yardage than was assured me. I was so disappointed, when I brought it up to my employer she just said, “Beggars can’t be choosers.” I bundled up my stuff and left again. I did find a job working for a lady who had eight children and kept eight borders. I did all the cooking, dish washing, washing and ironing for nineteen people and at times helped take care of the children. At night, I would make bread, and set it on the oven door to rise while I ironed. I received $4.00 per month, plus my room and board. They also permitted me to attend school during the winter. And I got a private bedroom, the first bedroom I had ever had by myself.
Finally Billie and I were married in the home of his Aunt Sis. We lived with Billie’s parents, and with his Grandmother during our first few years of marriage. About this time some Mormon elders had come to town. In October of 1887 Billie and I decided to be baptized. His great-grandmother Sarah was the first member of the family to be baptized, and we soon followed her. Elder Woodbury, yes, that was his name, he baptized me. It was cold that day, and they had to break the ice in the river to perform the baptism. We had one son at the time, Arthur. We decided to take the emigrant train to Salt Lake City, Utah. Elder Woodbury was in Utah after completing his mission, and he picked us up at the station and brought us to his home. “I saw the great temple, yet unfinished. . . . Arthur and I were both sick, but Billie went to conference the next day in the tabernacle.”
The next few years were tough as Billie battled mountain fever, a move to Idaho with four young children, and the lawlessness of Payette, Idaho. We tried to keep up with our daily lives in our log cabin Billie had built, but Billie’s folks in Texas kept writing us and telling us how much they liked their new home, and how much they wanted us to move to Texas. Billie was very interested and kept talking about going. I didn’t like living in Payette either. We had moved from Alabama to be near the church yet we never lived near enough to attend services, and we were so far from our families. I still had two brothers in Alabama and Billie had folks there, but his family in Texas were begging us to come there. I had bad dreams about Texas, and felt this was a warning, but we still headed that way.
Years past, and Billie and I were blessed with more children. But they don’t stay young forever, and soon it started. The boys began choosing girlfriends and the girls casting romantic glances at local lads. Billie and I were very cautious and slow to give our consent for dates. Yes, they tried to get by us at times. Sadie snuck out one night telling us she was going to spend the night with a friend, just to have her boyfriend meet her and take her to a party. Her Dad though, coming home from a trip, saw the boy Sadie was interested in walking down the road with Sadie’s friend. He put two and two together. When Sadie returned the next day, I just casual asked her, “Sadie, did you have a nice time with your DATE last night?” Soon our children began to marry, and have children of their own.
Billie raised cotton and most of our family helped in the field during cotton picking time. It was a competition most of the time with who could pick the most cotton in a day. Arthur would not let his sisters pick more cotton than him.
Billie bought a large farm in Upshur County and we began immediate preparations for moving. Yes, moving a family this size was not an easy task, but one we did with enthusiasm. The Church sat high on a hill in the Kelsey Mormon Colony. This was our prime purpose of the move to Upshur County, to be near the church. We got all our stuffed packed in three railroad cars including farm equipment and some of the stock and off we went to Gilmer. Our two final children were born in Gilmer.
While living in Gilmer, we lost our oldest daughter Maud. It brought much sorrow to our family. Her four little ones and her husband came to our home. Billie would ride those little ones on his back, and they would smile and laugh. I tried to hide my own sorrow, those grandkids needed me.
My brother, Ambrose, was severely ill. I so wanted to see him, but I was tending my own sick child at the time. I received another letter soon there after that he had passed away. My children had been planning a dance at the time, and I received this news the day before. They were so excited about their upcoming plans, I just couldn’t tell them about my brother, and I didn’t until the day after their dance. No need to spoil their fun.
I loved having visitors in the home. The kids were welcome to bring any one home to spend the night, and if I saw a peddler, negro, or any other passerby they were welcome for dinner as well.
Arthur, our oldest child, took us to Alabama in 1937 to see my brother Moses, it had been more than fifty years since I had seen him. It was a wonderful occasion.
With everything in life, my life to was coming to an end, but, just so you know--I DO NOT dye my hair!! I had black hair and I don’t know how many people asked if I dyed it. I tried through my life to be a hard worker. I wasn’t one to get in arguments , but I was frank in my beliefs and opinions. I loved being a mother. I tried my best to treat them with kindness, and put their welfare before my own. I loved holding and rocking my many grandbabies. My Billie died 13 years before me. The Kelsey chapel was filled to capacity with family and friends who stood in the rain throughout the service. His grandsons were pallbearers. He was buried in the Kelsey Cemetery. I lived with my daughter, Myrtle for a time before my death. I waited impatiently at times for the day I could be with my Billie again. With my thirteen children beside me and two making their way to my bedside, I peacefully passed away. At that instant I saw what my mother beheld, “Oh! Glorious heaven!”

My full name is Martha Emma Christina Lucinda Mull Lindsey, but please don‘t call me that, Mattie will be fine. I was born on August 26, 1867 in Alabama. My childhood was different than most. My father deserted our family shortly before I was born, leaving my Mother to raise my three brothers and I by herself. My mom tried her best to take care of us, but she fell ill and was unable to do so. My oldest brother, Ambrose, soon married. Ambrose was blond and looked like father. I would often go to his house to play with his children. “They did wash down beside a spring and we liked to play down there while they washed.” Dick, my other brother, was dark and handsome. He looked like my mother. Dick worked for Grandma Mull and he could not come home often. “I was five or six years old when he came home one day. . . We ran down the road to meet him and he lifted me up in his arms and hugged and kissed me. That is the only time I ever remember seeing him.” My youngest brother, Moses, was my only brother I got to spend any length of time with, but with my Mother’s illness and her inability to care for us, I was soon separated from Moses as well.
I lived with several families. Usually these families needed some kind of help. They would take me in, and in return I would do work for them. I was treated poorly often by these families, but along the way people were willing to help me. Once, I was working with a family that treated me as a slave. They lived by a railroad track, so the crew of the train saw what was happening and the first chance they got, they spoke with me and planned a way for me to escape on the train. I got some clothes and a few supplies, and hid them beside the track. The crew explained when I needed to be ready, and they would help me get away. It was night when they came, and I waited in the darkness. The train arrived, and I was able to escape several miles away to some friends. Another family treated me similar, so one night I threw the few clothes I had in a rag, waited for everyone to sleep, and then I ran. I didn’t know where I was going, but I knew I couldn’t stay there any longer. The Gisler family was different than most families. They treated me with kindness. And staying with them will always be a treasured memory, but I knew it wouldn’t last. I would often have dreams of Mrs. Gisler dying and a feeling of unbearable depression would come over me. My dream was realized when Mrs. Gisler died in child birth. Mr. Gisler soon left Alabama, so again I had no home.
I was fifteen years old when I received the message that my mother was dying. I rushed to my mother’s side, but she didn’t recognize me. Several times before she took her last breath, my mother said, “Oh! Glorious heaven!” I know by her manner of speaking and tone of voice that she had seen some heavenly scene. About three years later, I got word from my friend, Cordelia Little, stating that my father had died. She, also, wanted me to come visit them, so I went there. I met Cordelia’s cousin, Billie Lindsey. He would soon be my husband, but before we married I wanted to work for a time and buy more clothes before the wedding. And Billie also needed to earn some money before taking a wife. I worked for one of Billie’s neighbors, and she promised for a certain amount of work she would buy me a lovely piece of calico. I sure wanted that fabric to make a dress. I worked hard in happy anticipation of the beautiful dress that would soon be mine, but when finally I received the piece of material, it was much less yardage than was assured me. I was so disappointed, when I brought it up to my employer she just said, “Beggars can’t be choosers.” I bundled up my stuff and left again. I did find a job working for a lady who had eight children and kept eight borders. I did all the cooking, dish washing, washing and ironing for nineteen people and at times helped take care of the children. At night, I would make bread, and set it on the oven door to rise while I ironed. I received $4.00 per month, plus my room and board. They also permitted me to attend school during the winter. And I got a private bedroom, the first bedroom I had ever had by myself.
Finally Billie and I were married in the home of his Aunt Sis. We lived with Billie’s parents, and with his Grandmother during our first few years of marriage. About this time some Mormon elders had come to town. In October of 1887 Billie and I decided to be baptized. His great-grandmother Sarah was the first member of the family to be baptized, and we soon followed her. Elder Woodbury, yes, that was his name, he baptized me. It was cold that day, and they had to break the ice in the river to perform the baptism. We had one son at the time, Arthur. We decided to take the emigrant train to Salt Lake City, Utah. Elder Woodbury was in Utah after completing his mission, and he picked us up at the station and brought us to his home. “I saw the great temple, yet unfinished. . . . Arthur and I were both sick, but Billie went to conference the next day in the tabernacle.”
The next few years were tough as Billie battled mountain fever, a move to Idaho with four young children, and the lawlessness of Payette, Idaho. We tried to keep up with our daily lives in our log cabin Billie had built, but Billie’s folks in Texas kept writing us and telling us how much they liked their new home, and how much they wanted us to move to Texas. Billie was very interested and kept talking about going. I didn’t like living in Payette either. We had moved from Alabama to be near the church yet we never lived near enough to attend services, and we were so far from our families. I still had two brothers in Alabama and Billie had folks there, but his family in Texas were begging us to come there. I had bad dreams about Texas, and felt this was a warning, but we still headed that way.
Years past, and Billie and I were blessed with more children. But they don’t stay young forever, and soon it started. The boys began choosing girlfriends and the girls casting romantic glances at local lads. Billie and I were very cautious and slow to give our consent for dates. Yes, they tried to get by us at times. Sadie snuck out one night telling us she was going to spend the night with a friend, just to have her boyfriend meet her and take her to a party. Her Dad though, coming home from a trip, saw the boy Sadie was interested in walking down the road with Sadie’s friend. He put two and two together. When Sadie returned the next day, I just casual asked her, “Sadie, did you have a nice time with your DATE last night?” Soon our children began to marry, and have children of their own.
Billie raised cotton and most of our family helped in the field during cotton picking time. It was a competition most of the time with who could pick the most cotton in a day. Arthur would not let his sisters pick more cotton than him.
Billie bought a large farm in Upshur County and we began immediate preparations for moving. Yes, moving a family this size was not an easy task, but one we did with enthusiasm. The Church sat high on a hill in the Kelsey Mormon Colony. This was our prime purpose of the move to Upshur County, to be near the church. We got all our stuffed packed in three railroad cars including farm equipment and some of the stock and off we went to Gilmer. Our two final children were born in Gilmer.
While living in Gilmer, we lost our oldest daughter Maud. It brought much sorrow to our family. Her four little ones and her husband came to our home. Billie would ride those little ones on his back, and they would smile and laugh. I tried to hide my own sorrow, those grandkids needed me.
My brother, Ambrose, was severely ill. I so wanted to see him, but I was tending my own sick child at the time. I received another letter soon there after that he had passed away. My children had been planning a dance at the time, and I received this news the day before. They were so excited about their upcoming plans, I just couldn’t tell them about my brother, and I didn’t until the day after their dance. No need to spoil their fun.
I loved having visitors in the home. The kids were welcome to bring any one home to spend the night, and if I saw a peddler, negro, or any other passerby they were welcome for dinner as well.
Arthur, our oldest child, took us to Alabama in 1937 to see my brother Moses, it had been more than fifty years since I had seen him. It was a wonderful occasion.
With everything in life, my life to was coming to an end, but, just so you know--I DO NOT dye my hair!! I had black hair and I don’t know how many people asked if I dyed it. I tried through my life to be a hard worker. I wasn’t one to get in arguments , but I was frank in my beliefs and opinions. I loved being a mother. I tried my best to treat them with kindness, and put their welfare before my own. I loved holding and rocking my many grandbabies. My Billie died 13 years before me. The Kelsey chapel was filled to capacity with family and friends who stood in the rain throughout the service. His grandsons were pallbearers. He was buried in the Kelsey Cemetery. I lived with my daughter, Myrtle for a time before my death. I waited impatiently at times for the day I could be with my Billie again. With my thirteen children beside me and two making their way to my bedside, I peacefully passed away. At that instant I saw what my mother beheld, “Oh! Glorious heaven!”

Comments