January & February Happenings

20131227_153747 20131227_162216

I hate starting off each blog post with . . . I haven’t posted in a while . . . so, I won’t.  :)  We can just play catch up on what has been going down at the Bright’s home.

 

Our Christmas plans changed a little when we found out my Uncle Danny passed away from a heart attack.  I didn’t know him very well, but I wanted to be there for my Mom.  The kids and I traveled to Nacogdoches a few days before we had planned to be able to attend my uncle’s funeral.  The funeral was in Oklahoma.  My brother (who has recently moved to the Fort Worth area) met us there.  It was good to spend the day with my mom and brother even though I wish it had been under different circumstances.

 

The kids enjoyed playing with their cousins in East Texas.  I enjoyed visiting with my sisters and parents, and remember Christmas things I used to see and do when I was little.  The Rudolph oil pump below was definitely something I looked forward to seeing each year as a kid, and was happy to show my kiddos as well.  :)20131228_153430

 

We got to go to the drive-thru safari in Jacksonville, TX.  :)  My kiddos have been many times with their Memaw, but this was the first time I got to go.  For some reason that day . . . we decided to name all the animals after each other—Ginger chased us a lot, and Abby, and yes, there was a llama named Amber.  :)

 

20131230_144853 20131230_145815 20131230_15163620131230_150649  20131230_152004 20131231_175950

My sister, Abby, loves board games.  So, we had to play a few while we were there.  One game called Farkel was loved by most—especially Kayden.  Yes, that is Kayden playing Farkel . . . and winning!  :)

 

20140101_074908

And, yes, you can’t go to Papa’s house, and not go camping.  This camping trip was extra special because Hobo Joe was there.  You’ll have to ask Karston about Hobo Joe next time you see him.  :)

 

20140118_181227 20140118_181416

We made it to the beach too during our Christmas holidays—with milkshakes of course.  :)

 

 

After a wonderful Christmas break, it was time to start our regular routine once more.

 20140128_202556

The annual Pineywood Derby at the church was awesome this year!  They had a highly sophisticated track—that posted all the times electronically.  And, Karston’s car, was really cool.  Karston did all the sanding and design, and then Josh took it to the body shop to have a ‘real’ car paint job.  His car was so shiny and had pin stripes.  Well . . . if it was as fast as it looked it would have definitely won, but it was on the slow side.  Karston didn’t care though.  He said, “at least it looks cool.”  :)

 

The beginning of February Josh & I traveled to New Orleans, LA, so he could participate in his fifth marathon.  We met Papa in Houston, so the kids could spend a few days with their grandparents.  We didn’t expect to be coming in to Houston with the big digital billboards reporting a missing elderly man from Nacogdoches, TX.  Karston said his great-grandpa was famous.  :( My Mom’s father had decided to take a trip, but with an onset of dementia, it was a pretty scary few hours until he was found. He was found in Houston, and my dad was able to get him back to Nacogdoches safely.   Thanks to everyone who was on the look out, and had him in your prayers.

 

Josh & I’s trip was pretty much amazing.  :)  I never give Louisiana much credit because my mother-in-law and I constantly fight over which state is better (and yes, Texas is still better), but during this trip I saw one reason why she believes Louisiana is pretty special.  New Orleans is like none other.  It is truly like you are in a different country—the architecture, people, music, food, it is awesome.  :)

20140201_113653

The great Mississippi in Baton Rouge, LA.

 

20140201_113728 20140201_132910

To say that I am PROUD of my husband is truly an understatement.  1% of the population runs a marathon—and he has run five.  I’m very thankful that he has found something to strive for and accomplish, something he enjoys, and something that keeps him healthy and strong.  I’m glad he challenges me to live better, eat healthier, and exercise (most of the time).  So many times we hear about people who have suffered heart attacks or who have to battle health issues because of their lifestyles, I am grateful that Josh does everything in his power to be as healthy as possible for himself and for his family. 

 

20140201_165037 20140201_165807

This is Jackson Square in New Orleans—beautiful.  There were bands, street performers, and art of all sorts all around the square-AMAZING!  :)  The city has done really well preserving things as it was hundreds of years ago—which makes it hard for local businesses, but awesome for tourists to see.

20140201_165810 20140202_171513 20140203_090630 

Cafe Du Monde is pretty famous around the world for their beignets (French donuts).  And, yes, they were amazing, especially with hot chocolate on a cool morning.  :)

20140203_09365520140203_095524 20140203_095542 20140203_121355 20140203_121446 20140203_121502

Josh normal vs. Josh . . . normal . . . .  :)

20140203_121540 20140203_121617 20140203_151140 20140203_151204 20140203_151851

 

Julius Langheld, Josh’s great-great-grandfather, came in to the port of New Orleans from Germany.  This monument is in honor of immigrants who did just that.  Pretty amazing to see this, and then look toward the city to see the buildings that Julius saw when he arrived in the United States.  This was really cool. 

 

20140203_151910 20140203_151942 20140203_151954  20140203_162224 20140205_201357

We were sad to leave New Orleans, but ready to get back with our kiddos.  I made French beignets for the kiddos when we got back.  They liked them too. 

 

20140213_195516

Valentine’s is always extra special for our family because the day before is Karston’s birthday.  I gave Josh a present at Christmas to see Gordon Lightfoot.  The one problem—the concert was on Karston’s birthday.  Josh took Karston to IHOP before school started to kick off his birthday, but that evening Josh & I had an early Valentine date to the concert.  It was truly an amazing concert—seeing a living legend.  :)  Gordon Lightfoot’s songs were famous in the late 60s and 70s—Carefree Highway, Sunrise, etc.  He even wrote some of Elvis’ songs.  :)

 

20140214_062743

This was Karston’s Valentine’s Box—Roblox inspired.  He did everything by himself.  Everyone was really impressed, especially his parents.  :)

 

On Valentine’s Day, I got to spend more time with my hubby.  He came and talked to my sixth graders about force and motion via being a Geico Auto Damage Supervisor.  He brought in air bags, seat belts, and other car parts, plus played videos of crash tests.  To say my students got a kick out of that would be an understatement, plus they got a lot of free Geico stuff.  :)

 

That evening I got to spend a special date night with my boy.  We went to his favorite restaurant, Cici’s Pizza, and went and watch a movie.  I am so very proud of my boy, and the young man he is becoming. 

20140214_180457

 

This weekend Karston competed in his third race—the Rise and Shine 5K.  Josh joined with him this time, but they decided to run their own races—both strived for under 30 minutes.  Josh got third place in his age group, running the race in 25 minutes, and Karston did great too, but barely missing his goal.  He finished in 30 minutes 6 seconds—not too shabby.  :)

 

20140215_073713 20140215_081738

Hailey and Kayden helped me cheer on Josh & Karston!  :)

20140215_083214 20140215_083547 20140215_210422 20140215_210454

That night Karston had just a few friends over to go and watch the new Lego movie, which they said was pretty awesome.  We love our buddy!!  :)

After all that . . . I think I have most of the highlights from the past two months . . . and yes, we can leave out the mock testing (STAAR coming soon), freezing cold weather (no snow though—and only one day did they delay the start of school), and soar throats (barely remember race day due to medication).  :(

Comments

Popular Posts