our weekend in Austin!!
This weekend we headed to Austin for the 3M Half Marathon. I had mixed emotions when we left . . . a little excited and a little scared out of my mind, but I did it!! Woohooo!! I ran the whole thing, of course, nothing spectacular (some people were walking faster than I was running), but I DID IT!!!! Soooo, on my list of things to do before I die---check! I ran a half marathon!!! Josh was really proud of me considering six months ago I hadn't even considered running a half marathon . . . and well, for fourteen years now I have had to explain to him that his wish of having a wife who ran with him just wasn't going to be . . . until now!! :) Here's some pictures from our weekend:
The kids and I at the finish line! They cheered us on at the four mile mark and eight mile mark. Kayden made sure to explain to me that she wouldn't be cheering for Mom, she would be cheering for Amber! :)
While we were in Austin, we stopped by the UT campus to have a sneak peek at where my two kiddoes might want to go to college. Karston asked if there were schools for what you wanted to be. He wanted to make sure UT had a college degree for storm chasers. He wants to fly the big airplane into the eye of the hurricane. :)
(above) Do you see the moon up there by the bell tower?! (below) Josh and the kids outside the state capital.

Here I am crossing the finish line!! The loud speakers said, "Here comes Amber Bright from Corpus Christi, Texas!!" That's not my finishing time by the way---you have a chip in your shoe that counts your time and it starts when you cross the starting line and since there were 5,500 people running this race . . . well, yeah--take about 2 minutes off that time baby!! :) (I know sloooowwww, but good for me!)
The Cunninghams. The reason we even started taking on half marathons. They are pretty much pros at this. Josh ran his first half marathon with Jason back in October. :) And Allison pretty much smoked us this race---I saw her at the starting line and then well . . . never again! :) Go Allison!
The kids and I at the finish line! They cheered us on at the four mile mark and eight mile mark. Kayden made sure to explain to me that she wouldn't be cheering for Mom, she would be cheering for Amber! :)
While we were in Austin, we stopped by the UT campus to have a sneak peek at where my two kiddoes might want to go to college. Karston asked if there were schools for what you wanted to be. He wanted to make sure UT had a college degree for storm chasers. He wants to fly the big airplane into the eye of the hurricane. :)
(above) Who knew there were roller coasters on the UT campus--AGHHHH! :) Allison's parents were there (UT grads) & they showed us around and told us what it looked like when they were there. :) They also treated us to a BIG spaghetti dinner at the Macaroni Grill the night before our race---THANK YOU!
(above) Do you see the moon up there by the bell tower?! (below) Josh and the kids outside the state capital.

Here I am crossing the finish line!! The loud speakers said, "Here comes Amber Bright from Corpus Christi, Texas!!" That's not my finishing time by the way---you have a chip in your shoe that counts your time and it starts when you cross the starting line and since there were 5,500 people running this race . . . well, yeah--take about 2 minutes off that time baby!! :) (I know sloooowwww, but good for me!)
The Cunninghams. The reason we even started taking on half marathons. They are pretty much pros at this. Josh ran his first half marathon with Jason back in October. :) And Allison pretty much smoked us this race---I saw her at the starting line and then well . . . never again! :) Go Allison!
(above) the fence around the Texas State Capital (yes our Capital is bigger than the Capital in D.C.) (below) the bell tower on UT campus





Can't go to the capital and not slide down the hills!
SHHHH! Ava, Adiah, and Cami watch a debate on the Senate floor. A high school was there debating making marijuana legal. :)
We all headed out of the house chambers and then saw that Kayden was missing. I went back in to find her & there she was just watching what was happening on the house floor--another passionate political gal (just like her Mom)!! yeah!
(above) the dome inside the state capital (below) You can't go to Austin without going to a pro-life rally!! Gov. Perry actually spoke there, but we missed him. :( It was the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, so there were a lot of people there. Yeah! I love it!!!








Can't go to the capital and not slide down the hills!
SHHHH! Ava, Adiah, and Cami watch a debate on the Senate floor. A high school was there debating making marijuana legal. :)
We all headed out of the house chambers and then saw that Kayden was missing. I went back in to find her & there she was just watching what was happening on the house floor--another passionate political gal (just like her Mom)!! yeah!
(above) the dome inside the state capital (below) You can't go to Austin without going to a pro-life rally!! Gov. Perry actually spoke there, but we missed him. :( It was the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, so there were a lot of people there. Yeah! I love it!!!


(below) We went to pick up our bibs the day before, and our bags of goodies. You would have thought it was a teacher half marathon--sticky notes, tape, and all sorts of good teacher supplies!! :) Allison was getting into the race spirit and her Texas pride came out! :)
(above) Josh stands by the race map. How far do we really have to run?!!! (13.1 miles)

(above and below) DONE!

(above) Allison, me, & Josh with our medals at the finish line!! :)

(above) Josh stands by the race map. How far do we really have to run?!!! (13.1 miles)
(above and below) DONE!
(above) Allison, me, & Josh with our medals at the finish line!! :)
Josh and I--we did it!!!!! Josh knocked off about 15 minutes from his first half run, and I tied with his first time. We both met our goals and ran the whole thing. :) Josh said I couldn't use all 5 icy hot patches last night. :( My legs hurt, I have a black toe, a blister resembling a Roman Pharaoh, and a raw back where the waist of my paints rubbed against my skin, sore . . . sore . . . yes, sore muscles, and I wish I could just sit in a hot tub for about 5 days straight, but other than that . . . I DID IT!!! :)

Comments
I had to laugh about Kayden watching the debate. A girl after her momma's heart right there. I love it.